Just Max

Just Max Blabbering.

Nothing too interesting - nothing too controversial

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Biscotti Recipe

Okay, okay, okay! I promise to give you my biscotti recipe if you'll just sod off and leave me alone! Of course I'm not talking directly here to my adoring (?) public, but instead to my sister and work colleagues who have been threatening me with grim death if I don't pass on my recipe for almond biscotti. I would have taken photos of the final product, but it was eaten so quickly I was glad to escape with all my fingers..

Almond Biscotti

1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g whole almonds (I use blanched almonds, but whatever you have is fine)

  • Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius
  • Place sugar, eggs and lemon in a bowl and beat until pale and thick
  • Fold in flour, baking powder and almonds 
  • Use hands to lightly knead until dough is smooth
  • Divide mixture in half and form 2 logs (around 20-25 cms in length)
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes until dough is firm and golden
  • Remove and cool for an hour
  • Preheat oven to 140 degrees celsius
  • Use serrated knife to cut log on the diagonal in 0.5cm slices 
  • Lay flat and bake for 15-20 mins, turning once
  • Give Max your best pieces along with all your money and praise
The finished product should look something like this:


The only tricky bit with this recipe is cutting the biscotti once it's been baked for the first time. Make sure your knife is serrated and work slowly and carefully. Don't get impatient and start carving it up like yesterday's roast beef or else you'll end up with a crazy mess of splintered almonds and biscuit crumbs.

So there you have it. Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to have a read of this blog. Please feel free to comment and contribute to the conversation.