Just Max

Just Max Blabbering.

Nothing too interesting - nothing too controversial

Monday, July 5, 2010

Refugees

I feel I must interrupt normal proceedings to comment on a situation that has brought shame to this country, and me as an individual. Forgive me if you are easily offended, or better still, stop reading - nowish.

I have always voted Labor. It was while attempting to lodge my very first vote that I was thrown out of the polling booth for causing a raucous and having a fight with a John Hewson fan. I have distributed 'How to Vote' cards for the ALP at just about every election and yes, I am one of those freaks who had the picture of the local member on display in their front yards. Needless to say, I brought a Kevin 07 T-shirt, badge and smaller T-shirt for my then 7 year old son - and I wore them with pride.

I was elated when Kev broke the tyranny of the Libs and this feeling was only reinforced when we finally offered Aboriginal people an official apology. I felt proud of our government and for the first time in ages, I felt proud to be Australian.

Oh My, how things have changed...


I have just read yet another article about Julia's views on refugees and I have to say - Julia, you're a racist mole.  Why can't we, as Australians, offer a helping hand to people who are so desperate they're willing to travel in leaky boats across wild oceans for a chance to offer a decent life to their children? Why are these people considered criminals? If all they want is freedom, clean water and a safe home, is that really so bad? I don't understand why the government is still paying people to have children, when there are so many people in the world who are willing to risk their lives to try to have even a chance at a lifestyle we take for granted.

I used to believe that the Australian Labor Party were humane, decent and willing to help people who wanted to have a fair go. It seems that now there's an election in sight, they've turned into racist, populists bastards who will do anything to win.

Well guess what? My Kevin 07 T-shirt will now be used to wipe my arse.

Want some perspective? Click on this graph and get the facts on refugees

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to have a read of this blog. Please feel free to comment and contribute to the conversation.